(A Sunday Specialty which I learned from my dear, Italian Mother-in-Law!)
This is a stuffed chicken that is boiled in the Sunday tomato gravy. Very unusual with wonderful flavors.
Stuffing for a 4 lb. Organic Chicken:
• ½ lb. loose Manchester-FarmsBerkshire sausage
• 3 slices of bread dried and made into breadcrumbs
• 4 cloves of garlic minced
• ¼ cup of chopped parsley
• ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
• Salt & pepper to your taste
• 1 4 lb. Organic Chicken rinsed & patted dry
• ¼ cup of olive oil
• 5 cloves of garlic minced
• ½ can 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes blended
• ¾ can of 8 oz. can of tomato paste
• 1 lb. pasta of your choice. I like Ziti or an egg noodles
Preheat oven to
Sauté the sausage until just cooked. Add to the sausage, breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper and mix together.
Stuff the bird with the sausage mixture. Let bird sit.
In a large sauce pan (large enough to fit the chicken) add the olive oil on medium heat and saute the garlic. When the garlic is golden add blended tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Add stuffed chicken to the sauce and cook at a high simmer for 2o minutes and turn over the chicken. Continue cooking for 1 1/2 hours, turning chicken every 20 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking bring a pot of water to a boil. When the water comes to a boil add a tablespoon of salt. Add the pasta and cook the till al dente.
Take the out of the sauce and carve.
Serve the pasta with the sauce as a first course.
Serve the Chicken with a Salad as a second course.
Local, organic, grass fed milk from the Pittsburgh area!